Do I qualify?
Habitat for Humanity selects families who are ready for the responsibility and challenges of homeownership, but would not qualify for a bank mortgage.
Habitat for Humanity Niagara reserves the right to make the final decision for acceptance on all applications. The following criteria is applied to determine eligibility:
- Applicants are currently living together in sub-standard housing which could include overcrowding, unsafe living conditions, or paying more than 30% of income toward housing costs
- Must be a permanent resident of Canada and currently living in the Niagara region
- Must be able to manage debt in a responsible way. A bankruptcy must have been discharged for at least two years.
- Household assets must be below $30,000
- To be eligible, the total gross annual income for the applicants must be above the minimum income listed below
- Total gross household income must be below the maximum income listed below
- Preference will be given to families with young children
- “Gross” income is the amount before deductions
- “Household” income includes all income from all persons 18 years or older who live in the home and who are not full-time students
- At least $29,000 of your annual income is from employment, disability or pension income
- Include only half of Child Care Benefits and support payments
- For ODSP include only shelter and basic needs benefit amounts
- Do not include income from Ontario Works, Employment Insurance, GST/HST or Trillium
- For employment income, must be employed with current employer for a minimum of 2 years
|Family Size||Gross Annual Income|
| 2 persons
|| $36,000 - $38,500
| 3 persons
|| $36,000 - $47,000
| 4 persons
|| $36,000 - $54,000
| 5 persons
|| $36,000 - $60,000
| 6 persons
|| $36,000 - $60,500
| 7 persons
|| $36,000 - $72,000
| 8 persons
|| $36,000 - $76,500
Potential families must also be willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity Niagara by:
- Agreeing to 500 hours of volunteering with Habitat for Humanity Niagara (extended family and friends can help with some of the volunteer hours)
- Providing requested information to Habitat Niagara in a timely manner
- Willing to support Habitat Niagara’s ongoing program by keeping their home and property neat and tidy!
- Willing to foster positive relationships with Habitat Niagara volunteers, donors, community and neighbours
To learn more about our homeownership program download our Steps to becoming a Habitat homeowner.
For more information, contact Family Services at 905 685 7395 ext. 406 or firstname.lastname@example.org