How to renovate your kitchen on a budget
The average kitchen renovation costs more than $60,000, putting it out of reach for many homeowners. But fear not – it is possible to renovate your kitchen on a budget.
If a budget kitchen renovation sounds more realistic to you, here are some helpful tips:
Save on materials
- Our Habitat for Humanity ReStores often have full kitchens that our salvage team has just removed from a donor’s home. We also have countertops (yes, even solid surface countertops for a fraction of retail price – and you never pay tax!), flooring, backsplash tile, lighting, cabinet hardware and even appliances that are gently used or sometimes brand new. See what you’ll find in our stores.
Save on labour
- Consider doing some of the work yourself, or convince friends or family members with skills to help you. Leave plumbing and electrical to the pros, but things like painting, installing a backsplash or putting on new hardware can be done on your own.
- Demolition is a common area that you can do yourself, or enlist the help of our salvage team who can remove your old kitchen, countertops, appliances and other reusable items for FREE. Plus, you’ll get a tax receipt once it’s sold at one of our ReStores. Find out more about our FREE kitchen removal and salvage program.
Update rather than replace kitchen cabinets
- Consider painting your cabinets or adding new hardware to give them a fresh new look.
Don’t change the layout
- Moving plumbing and electrical and tearing down walls are costly. Keep your existing layout the same, but update the finishes.
Where to splurge and where to save
- Make conscious decisions about where you want to splurge and where you want to save.
- You may want to buy a set of new appliances that aren’t as high-end.
Renovating your kitchen on a budget is possible. Take your time to research, get your hands dirty and visit our ReStores often as we receive new and gently used items daily. You never know what you’ll find at Niagara Habitat for Humanity ReStores!
Resources: How to remodel a kitchen on a budget